Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Disposing Of Oily Rags?

Yes, that sounds like a very wise thing to do. I like the big surface area,
won't retain any heat. That does sound much safer.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Baron" wrote in message

For oil finishes like linseed, tung, etc., I hang them on a chain link
fence outside until they have finished curing - a few days. I then dispose
of them in normal trash. Opening them up and hanging them on a chain link
fence exposes them to a maximum amount of air (oxygen) so the oil cures as
rapidly as it can. Spreading them out on a metal fence enables any heat to
dissipate rather than causing the rag to combust.

For motor oils and other oils which do not oxidize / cure at any
appreciable rate under ambient temperature and pressure, I do not bother
with trying to get the oil to cure / oxidize. I dispose of them as you
would any non-spontaneously combustible oil soaked trash.

Good Luck.