Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default Rubber Protection

On 27/09/2012 22:32, BeeJ wrote:
I have some rubber components that need protection.
Previously these rubber parts deteriorated probably due to crap in the
air (all I can figure since that is all the were exposed to over years
of sitting untouched). These components are used for light blocking
like on a camera lens and have no mechanical interfaces other than
mounting.

So would using pure silicone spray be best or what?
Spray and wipe off excess leaving a very think film or would it soak in?

Suggstions please.

It would really help if you explained more.

Are you saying some parts have deteriorated / failed, and now you have
some new ones which you want to protect?

There are many different sorts of rubber. Some are prone to attack by
UV, if they see sunlight. Others by ozone. Sometimes rubbers go soft and
sticky for little apparent reason, with no consistency between nominally
identical parts.

It seems to me that your mysterious parts are deteriorating they are
probably made from the wrong material.

You seem to think that silicone spray might behave like "leather
dressing". But that works by soaking into the fibrous structure of
leather. It is likely to make rubber swell or soften, but may help it
stay flexible.