Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Multifunction/oscillating pwr tool

On 2012-10-01, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 9/30/2012 6:01 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

Back when I got mine (RIDGID brand), Home Depot had a display
showing that and other similar ones which they also sold (and the other
accessory heads which come with the tool) so you can test them on real
wood. This was about a month before Christmas a couple of years ago.
You might ask whether your local Home Depot will have a similar
comparison display set up, so you can make up your own mind. Among
other heads for the RIDGID were a right angle electric drill, and one
which works as a hammer to drive in reasonable sized nails in awkward
locations where you can't get proper access to swing a proper hammer. I
used it, among other things, for driving captive nails affixed to the
plastic outlet/switch boxes when the next stud over was too close.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I've been interested in the proliferation of these tools for quite some
time. I can think of a couple of attachments that might get traction in
the market. My view so far is that they aren't quite there yet. What
do you think?

Well ... the fact that this one has separate motor and heads
allows for a bit more variety than something which is directly
generating an oscillatory motion. The heads which I have are the default
one (oscillatory saw/sander), the confined space hammer, and the
electric drill head.

It is the JobMax series, and includes a 3/8" drive ratchet head,
the "multi-tool" (the vibratory tool), an impact driver head, and the
3/8" right angle drill head. They even have a combo kit having all of
these above, plus the charger.

Also listed (if you click on "show me all the things you find")
there is a jig-saw head and the hammer head

The Jobmax tools have the trigger/speed control and the
forward/reverse switch on the motor module, and the heads can click onto
it in four different orientations, so you can do things like drill
towards yourself or drive nails towards yourself quite comfortably.

I did not get several of the options, as I did not see a need
for them. At this point, I may go back for some of these, as I don't
know how many things will turn out to still work after the fire. But
they also have a 1/2" drill/screwdriver (not another head for this, but
a different series) which puts out enough torque so you really *need*
the extra handle. In particular, the ancient B&D jigsaw (they called it
a "saber saw" back in 1957 or so. :-)

And the 1/2" drill/screwdriver still works after coming out of
the shop *after* the fire. Just a little rust on the drill chuck jaws.
Same for the spare battery and the charger.

So -- I am pretty pleased with what I got. But I don't know
what other brands are like -- but I know that I have been displeased
with earlier battery powered drills because the batteries tend to
discharge between uses, while both of these series use a Lithium-Ion
battery pack -- quick to charge, and holds the charge for along time.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'll keep the project in mind and it might work it's way to the front
burner some day. ...lots of stuff should reach the front burner.