Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default lead bullet making

Now as to your intent to run them through automatic weapons, you can't
run them at the same velocity as service ammo, even gas checks
wouldn't let you do that. Probably won't function the gun at the
velocity you'll have to use to keep from leading up. With both guns,
the boosters are going to get a nice bath of lead vapor, eventually
you get to remove it. I'd consider that idea a non-starter. Now for
pistols, lever guns and bolt actions, lead bullets will work fine if
you load within the limitations.

Stan

I don't shoot enough pistol ammo to really make this pay. A fella on
the Weapons Guild forum claims great success using 168 grain cast .308
boolits with a gas check in his 1919. Its a reduced powder load, don't
remember exact specs without pulling up the thread. I think I'd best
look for independant confirmation before moving forward.

Karl