Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lead bullet making

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com on Mon, 01 Oct
2012 15:33:06 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
pyotr filipivich fired this volley in
:

I'm sure there is a way to process the lead in batteries - right.
(I suspect that you need to completely neutralize the acid, and clean
out the non-lead compounds. Both of which may require a level of
chemical processing beyond the back yard salvager.)

Problem is, there's so much "unwantium" in batteries that you can't
smelt, that it will might make up 75% of the weight or better.

Cadmium compounds (not good!), calcium compounds (not so bad), lead
sulfide and oxide which aren't likely to reduce at the temperatures you
have available, and other "stuff" like glass insulator mats... About the
only meltable lead is the posts, connector straps, and those flimsy
"screens" of lead that hold all the other smeared-in pastes of compounds
they make the electrodes from.

Lead compounds are heavy, too... so it makes it appear you've got a
treasure-trove, when what you have is a recycling mess!

Oh -boogers.

LLoyd

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the