Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default door widths - too narrow?

charles wrote:
In article ,
polygonum wrote:
On 01/10/2012 21:07, Hugo Nebula wrote:

In order: a) No it's not. b) Disabled access isn't ********.

Absolutely agreed it is not ********. But what I have come to realise
forcefully is that it is very one-dimensional. The needs of the person
near me are nothing to do with ramps and steps, door widths and grab
rails. They happen to be things like temperature and heating, humidity
and air movement, noise and light. Even the use of the wheelchair symbol
as a generic identification of disability - whilst entirely
understandable in terms both of it being chosen and by people seeing it
- pushes the focus onto that specific physical issue and seems to ensure
that other physical issues are focred into the shadows.

as I learned on a course about 20 years ago, only 10% of disabled people
use a wheelchair.

And the ones that DO, and cant stagger on crutches, need a **** site
more in a house than the ability to drive a wheel chair round it.
It's ******** not because disability isn't something that needs to be
considered, its ******** because the measures simply are a pathetic sop
to the disability lobby and don't address the fundamental problems of
disability, at all.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.