Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to "antique" a brass handle?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I have an antique dresser,
with several 3.5in "swan neck" bail pull handles missing.

I can't locate anyone selling these in "antiqued" brass,
but have found them in bright brass.

I'm wondering if these would look like the old handles
after several years?
Or if there is any amateur way to make them look antique?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

yes. I once made a copper plaque and it came in a kit and once you had
embossed the copper sheet, theer was a liquid that turned the copper
instantly black and also made it stink of rotten eggs. Then you buffed
it down with wire wool and lacquered it.

With new brass, you may have it lacquered already and that needs to come
off with paint stripper or summat. There you need that liquid which
essentially accelerates ageing in a sulphur rich atmosphere creating
coppers sulphide (black) rather than the usual oxide (reddish brown to
black) to copper carbonate (verdigris green) ageing.

Ah. I have found something called 'liver of sulphur' on the net that
should do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDqRzXf1yjM

http://www.kernowcraft.com/products/...-sulphur-C172/

Hmm. I must get some copper and do another plaque...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.