Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Silicone release agent?

On Monday, October 1, 2012 8:14:50 PM UTC+1, Old Git wrote:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 13:24:41 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 05:07:21 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

It seem that this has involved squirting a big bead of silicone along

each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

I've heard that cling film is good but not tried it.

Works a treat. My father refused to buy new windows, saying, "They

will outlast me" Turned out he was right on that score. I had to stay

in his house for nearly a year and got ****ed off with watching the

curtains billow out at 90deg and freezing to death.

Waited for a reasonably mild day and started early morning. Wrapped

the edges of the opening windows with cling film, put a bead of

silicone around the frames, closed the windows to almost shut and left

them like that for the rest of the day. When the silicone was about

set, off with the cling film and they worked a treat.

I've found cling film pretty useful when using wood filler on an edge too: Cover a piece of timber/board/whatever in cling film, clamp to an edge, stuff the filler into the gap, then peel off, leaving a straight finish.