Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Silicone release agent?

On Monday, October 1, 2012 6:00:02 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 01/10/2012 13:07, GMM wrote:

At work, they've been draught-proofing the old windows. It seem that this has involved squirting a big

bead of silicone along each mating surface, then closing the window until it goes off. Good (if

temporary-feeling) idea for some locations as it moulds to the right shape. Once cured, the silicone stays

on the one face.

They didn't do my area, so no chance to find out how it was done, but they must have used some release

agent on the 'uncoated' face for this to work.

Any idea what they might have used as a release agent?

Sounds daft, but silicone is used as a mould release agent.

I can never work out how come silicone sealant is so sticky when

silicone spray is so slippery?

Very true Dave: The spray must be mostly slippery at first because it's in a solvent: Maybe they used the spray (or just the solvent) as the release agent..A third arm to the experiment there .....