Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default door widths - too narrow?

On 01/10/2012 23:03, SteveW wrote:
On 01/10/2012 22:29, polygonum wrote:
On 01/10/2012 21:07, Hugo Nebula wrote:

In order: a) No it's not. b) Disabled access isn't ********.

Absolutely agreed it is not ********. But what I have come to realise
forcefully is that it is very one-dimensional. The needs of the person
near me are nothing to do with ramps and steps, door widths and grab
rails. They happen to be things like temperature and heating, humidity
and air movement, noise and light. Even the use of the wheelchair symbol
as a generic identification of disability - whilst entirely
understandable in terms both of it being chosen and by people seeing it
- pushes the focus onto that specific physical issue and seems to ensure
that other physical issues are focred into the shadows.

Even more so non-physical issues, such as mental health (my wife is a
Community Psychiatric Nurse, so I hear of the many problems her patients
encounter).

SteveW

I realised that my post ignored mental health issues - not intended to
dismiss them but outside my experience at these levels.

--
Rod