Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default lead bullet making

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 05:47:48 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
:

Is working in front of a fan enough to keep the lead fumes safely
away?

It's counter-intuitive, but don't have the fan behind you, or even behind
at an angle. Have it blow R-L or L-R across your pot.

As far as concerns "lead fumes" -- WHAT lead fumes? At correct casting
temperatures, no significant or harmful amount of anything lead-bearing
will get into the air that you don't throw into the air with your tools.

The flux fumes may or may not be injurious, depending upon what you use.

Chronic breathing of even simple animal grease smoke ain't all that good
for you.

LLoyd

While I do most of my major bullet metal preparation outdoors...I do
cast indoors. I simply installed a bathroom fart fan in a piece of
paneling that I place in a window behind the casting area and turn it
on. Sucks any fumes and toxins right outdoors. And helps keep a bit
of a breeze blowing around me. Not much of one..but enough to help
keep me cool(er)

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli