Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus350 Ignoramus350 is offline

Default Scrap value of large electric motors, vs. small motors

On 2012-09-30, wrote:

Since they are made by Kato, I doubt there is any way to separate the
motor part from the generator part.

While I will soon know for sure, this is indeed what I expect, that
they are closely coupled.

The GE motor-alternator sets on the IBM 370/145 were 2-bearing
affairs. The motor and alternator sections were separate, but the
whole thing was on one shaft with two end bells, and both stators
in the same housing between them. A guy I know cut the motor rotor
off the shaft and rigged it by belts to a VW engine to make a
400 Hz TIG system. The 370/145 had a 17 KVA alternator output.

Jon

Yeah, doubtfully anyone would want to pay above scrap price for a
project like this.