Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Scrap value of large electric motors, vs. small motors

On 2012-10-01, wrote:

Cut the windings out and sell the copper separately from the frames.
You will get more for the copper alone tnan for the entire M-G sets -
and still have the steel left. Cases are likely maleable iron - which
has different value than steel - and is worth more separated than
mixed.

But it costs money to separate. Last time I looked at parting out
motor windings, it seemed difficult.

Yeah, but something that's 14k lb instead of 200 _may_ make it worth it;
I don't know. Cu is down from peak altho still pricey and I don't know
what the knockdown for the windings being coated rather than just copper
is but surely is worth checking on I'd think...

And, as said above you don't have to disassemble as for repair...

Just $0.01, etc., etc., etc., ...