Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cement colourant with ordinary cement?

On Monday, October 1, 2012 12:15:11 PM UTC+1, Harry Davis wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in

:

Harry Davis wrote:

Hello, I'm reconcreting a small front garden and considering

colouring the concrete, probably a pale yellow, using cement

colourant.

Can someone tell me whether it's sensible to use cement colourant

with ordinary cheap cement, or does it really only do a good job with

e.g. Portland cement etc.?

Yellow dye won't have any efect on dark green/grey cement, you'd have

to use white cement, which is about a tenner a bag.

Also you'd need white or very pale sand for the dye to have the

desired effect.

And you'll need a hell of a lot of dye to achive any kind of colour

per mix, that is, if you are adding it to the mix rather than adding

it to the laid concrete, at least a kilo per 25kg of cement.

Thanks for this. I've already bought the standard cement.

Do you think I could get away with buying a bag of white cement, mixing it

with a lot of water and some yellow colourant, and then doing a cement

wash?

Or can you only do cement washes on walls?

The area I'm doing is in a front garden and only gets occasional foot

traffic.

Harry

It would work. Temporarily. I'd lay the bulk in grey, and a top layer with white. Lay the 2nd before the 1st is fully set and they'll bond as one.

NT