Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Davis Harry Davis is offline

Default cement colourant with ordinary cement?

"Phil L" wrote in
:

Harry Davis wrote:
Hello, I'm reconcreting a small front garden and considering
colouring the concrete, probably a pale yellow, using cement
colourant.

Can someone tell me whether it's sensible to use cement colourant
with ordinary cheap cement, or does it really only do a good job with
e.g. Portland cement etc.?

Yellow dye won't have any efect on dark green/grey cement, you'd have
to use white cement, which is about a tenner a bag.
Also you'd need white or very pale sand for the dye to have the
desired effect.
And you'll need a hell of a lot of dye to achive any kind of colour
per mix, that is, if you are adding it to the mix rather than adding
it to the laid concrete, at least a kilo per 25kg of cement.

Thanks for this. I've already bought the standard cement.

Do you think I could get away with buying a bag of white cement, mixing it
with a lot of water and some yellow colourant, and then doing a cement
wash?

Or can you only do cement washes on walls?

The area I'm doing is in a front garden and only gets occasional foot
traffic.

Harry