Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default lead bullet making

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 05:58:43 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I thought about just emailing the RCM premier expert on bullet
casting, but maybe somebody else has something to add.

Ammo prices are climbing outa sight. So i want to get into casting my
own 9mm and .308. My interest peaked when I learned my 1919 and MG42
will eat unplated bullets. I always knew the Uzis and Suomis would eat
anything.

What all equipment will I need? What should i expect to spend to make
10K of each bullet? (If i can't break even at 10K, I'll keep buying
from Berry and Pats)

Karl

1. Good supply of wheel weights and in the case of the MGs...a fair
supply of Linotype alloy

http://www.lasc.us/castbulletalloy.htm#commonalloys

http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm

2. a natural gas source or a 20lb bottle of propane

3. Old gas burner..the bigger the better

4. Make it yourself bottom pour pot capable of handling a minimum of
20 lbs of molten lead alloy

5. a double or quad cavity mold for each bullet you intend to cast,
(with handles)

6 bullet sizing/lubricator. In the case of many bullets at a time..Id
suggest a Star luber. Else Lyman/RCBS etc etc

7.Dies for each caliber for the luber

Lubricant. For the MGs..Id strongly recommend Hard lubes and a heater
to mount your luber/sizer on.

8. Lots of time, or a neighbor kid you can pay cheap to sit and cast
bullets.

Not much else. Oh..a neck expander die to put a small bell (very
small) on the case mouths..but that can be made from a threaded rod on
a lathe

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli