Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scrap value of large electric motors, vs. small motors

Make a DC power supply. The 400 Hz makes clean DC - but be
very very careful!!!!! 400 Hz is not a skin effect frequency like 60
cycle. 400 hz is center of the core - and will burn out marrow in your
arms if you short out an arm.

That happened to my Dad when they were looking at 400 for Ships. They
stuck with 60 cycle as they needed the ballast. Aircraft went to 400.

Martin

On 2012-09-30, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 22:09:32 -0500, Ignoramus23622

On 2012-09-30, Richard wrote:
On 9/29/2012 8:36 PM, Ignoramus23622 wrote:
I have several electric motor-like things, they are called
motor-generators. It is a motor paired to a generator.

For scrap purposes, they are both electric motors. They are about 100
HP in size.

I bought them as complete units and I expect that I will be scrapping
them and selling off contactors and such.

When I look up prices of "scrap electric motors", I only see prices
published for fractional horsepower motors.

My question is, are large motors valued at a higher price per lb, or
lower, than fractional motors.

The total weight of these devices is 14,000 lbs, so I better do a good
research before selecting a particular scrap yard.

If it works (?) it's worth a hell of a lot more than scrap value!

Who needs a 100 HP motor generator making 417 Hertz?

Someone making a hybrid electric bus?

Find an avionics client?

I got a grand last night from the golf cart my neighbor gave to me. I
had lots of expenses in repair, though: $4.95 for a 10" battery cable.

Recycling is good!

Awesome! This kind of stuff is what makes life fun!

In this case, I would need to find a user of an old IBM mainframe who
needs a 415 Hz power supply. Which is not something that I hold my
breath for.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login...number%3D44248