Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default lead bullet making

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:52:34 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 05:58:43 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

I thought about just emailing the RCM premier expert on bullet casting,
but maybe somebody else has something to add.

Ammo prices are climbing outa sight. So i want to get into casting my
own 9mm and .308. My interest peaked when I learned my 1919 and MG42
will eat unplated bullets. I always knew the Uzis and Suomis would eat
anything.

What all equipment will I need? What should i expect to spend to make
10K of each bullet? (If i can't break even at 10K, I'll keep buying from
Berry and Pats)

You've probably already thought about this, but figure out the total
weight of your 10K worth of bullets, figure out how much you'll need to
spend on the lead, decide on what seems to be a reasonable wastage figure
(10%? 5%?), then figure out if you're saving anything right there. If
not, then you know why prices are high, and you know the value of
proceeding.

Figure out how much you want/don't want the EPA breathing down your neck
because you're using Oh So Terrible Toxic Lead while you're at it.

thaought I'd get way more interest in this topic. guess i should've
said I'm doing this because bamma is runing everything and has to be
stoppedVBG

Seriously, I'm hoping to use an old forklift battery for the lead.
from what little i've read looks like (expensive) linotype is the
preferred source.

Karl