Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions about buying a standby electrical generator

On 9/29/2012 9:15 PM, wrote:
On 09/29/2012 11:40 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I remember from
some where, a typical generator is designed for about 200 hours of use,
before it wears out. That's much more time than typical home owner
will ever
put on it.

I realize this is an older thread, but I'm just getting to it. Let's
see, 200/24 = 8.33. So you're claiming that a typical homeowner won't be
needing a generator for a total of just over a week? I'd say anyone who
expects that level of reliability from their power company doesn't need
a generator at all.

I suspect the 200 hour figure only applies to the cheap junk from Harbor
Fright. I've got 730 hours on a 8000 watt Generac.

Back in the 90's I installed a lot of Generac 8kw units in homes and the
gensets had the Briggs & Stratton Vanguard V-twin which is a pretty
good engine. The last Generac I installed had the Generac produced
V-twin which is a better engine. Which one do you have? ^_^

TDD