Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default cement colourant with ordinary cement?

Harry Davis wrote:
Hello, I'm reconcreting a small front garden and considering
colouring the concrete, probably a pale yellow, using cement
colourant.

Can someone tell me whether it's sensible to use cement colourant with
ordinary cheap cement, or does it really only do a good job with e.g.
Portland cement etc.?

Yellow dye won't have any efect on dark green/grey cement, you'd have to use
white cement, which is about a tenner a bag.
Also you'd need white or very pale sand for the dye to have the desired
effect.
And you'll need a hell of a lot of dye to achive any kind of colour per mix,
that is, if you are adding it to the mix rather than adding it to the laid
concrete, at least a kilo per 25kg of cement.

Red's a different kettle of fish, it goes a lot further and you can get red
sand which sort of meets you half way.