Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default More on electric cars.

In article
, harry
wrote:
On Sep 29, 6:01 pm, charles wrote:
In article
,
harry wrote:

On Sep 29, 10:50 am, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,

harry wrote:
http://www.pvmips.org/publications/017.pdf

In case you don't understand, it means in 20 years there is a
96.5% chance there will be no problem with a modern inverter. As
mine is installed in an ideal situation (ie cool, dry and dust
free) I expect it will be even more reliable than that.

So if you have 100 of them (I assume there's one in each turbine?)
that gives you about a 2.8% chance that there won't be a failure,
or 97.2% chance that there will.

100 turbines, that's what, about 5 wind farms or so?
If you had a hundred of them I would need less than three replacement
inverters in 20 years. So that would be one every seven years. I
think that would be a pretty acceptable fail rate. If you had 100
motor cars, how many breakdowns would you expect in 20 years? As with
other electronic devices most of the defects would fall within the
guarantee period or run for a long time.

that's a very interesting view of the reliability of electronic
components. You do need to define "a long time". 5 years?, ten
years?, most unlikely to be 20 years.

I have a 1960's radio still works. As long as the components don't
overheat ,or be subjected to vibration or get wet/dusty there's no reason
why they shouldn't last for many decades. It's the mechanical bits goes
wrong.

but I don't suppose it's been switched on all the time since new - like
your inverter would have to be.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18