Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Winterizing trailers

On 9/28/2012 9:13 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've been asked to "winterize" a dozen or so trailers, at a camp site that
is only used in the summer. The trailers are one or possibly two bedroom,
with water and electric and sewer hook ups.

What are some of the things that need to be done? Is there a check list
online? What does such a winterizing cost?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just did mine yesterday. I made sure the black and gray tanks were
empty. Here at the house, I have a macerator/pump to pump the tanks
uphill to the septic tank clean out opening. If you have a sewer
connection, gravity does a nice job. Also, if there is a fresh water
tank, it must be emptied. If the units stay in the same place all year
with connected water, the tank is probably empty. As for the water
heater, you 1st operate the bypass valve and then pull the drain plug.
It empties faster if you pop open the over pressure valve. Now you pump
the pink antifreeze into all the water lines. I use the on-board pump,
which is usually used to pressurize the water system when using the
on-board water tank (now empty). I have a short length of hose that
connects to the input of the pump. Normally, it connected to the fresh
water tank, but you have to disconnect that. One end of the hose has a
fitting for the input of the pump, the other end is just cut clean. The
cut end goes into the jug of pink RV anti-freeze. You then enable the
pump on the RV control panel and run every faucet, both hot and cold,
until the pink comes out. The jug might have to be elevated a bit the
get the pump to prime. Don't forget the toilet and any outside hand
shower. Make sure enough of the pink stuff goes into each sink/show's
trap. Alternately, you can pour a cup or so, into each trap, right from
the jug. The toilet doesn't have a trap, so you only need to make sure
the pink stuff fills the water pipe.

As my unit is a motor home, and because I use the generator as a backup
for the house, I have a full 50 gallons of gas in the tank and it should
be treated with a fuel stabilizer. And, again, because the generator
might be used for emergency, the oil will be changed .... probably
tomorrow. I like to put a battery tender on the house battery to keep
it healthy. I don't let the normal power converter on, because some of
them tend to over charge the house battery. Also, because it is a
motor home, I have a 2nd battery tender on the vehicle battery. I also
turn off the propane tank. I think that's it.