Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default What the worst home repair you've ever encountered?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:55 pm, gregz wrote:
gregz wrote:
Was doing the yearly trim of mulberry tree next to dads house. Dad liked it
for it's shade. Years doing this, climbing up tree,and cutting from one
story roof.
Even used small chain saw at times. I'm up 3-4 feet on wooden ladder
resting on tree. As I was falling backwards, I reach out my arm to window
out of desperation, hear crunching sound of my arm, hit ground, twisting my
ankle. I made it it to standing position. I raised left arm, and felt it
slip out of joint. Went into house, took two ibuprofen. Went back outside
to bundle remaining limbs of tree. I'm in denial.
Next day nurse visiting dad suggested I go to hospital. Rotator cuff. After
6 weeks of therapy, I get operation, then 6 more weeks of therapy. My arm
is still has problems going on 10years. My ankle is fine.

Greg

Oh, dad. He was working on the garage coil spring one day, drunk. I'll
spare the details. He recovered ok.

Greg

This is a home repair tale, but it is related to a garage door spring.

I used to work with a guy who parked in his garage, got out of the car
and hit the GDO button on the way into the house. The door spring let
go and smacked him upside the head, splittng the side of face open.
His wife wondered what was taking him so long to come into the house
so she went out and found him barely concious on the garage floor.

He was out of work for a month and still looked beat up when he came
back.

Years later, one spring let loose. I could not even budge the double wooden
door. Scary.

I did finally replace it with a steel/foam door.

Greg