Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default lathe chuck spindle

"Jamie M" wrote in message
... I think I will use some cold rolled steel tube, 1.5" OD and 1"
ID, then
put the 8TPI threads onto that, hopefully the tube will work for
1.5" ID bearings. What type of bearings would be good to use? I
probably
will use two bearings I guess and would like to have some axial
pretension to get rid of axial play in the spindle, so need some
axial
load as well as radial load bearings. Maybe a single thrust bearing
and a single roller bearing? Or an angular contact bearing and a
roller bearing maybe. Also what is the best mechanism to apply
the axial preloading?

cheers,
Jamie

What is the point of adding a lathe spindle to a milling table? You
don't need bearings to use it as a rotary index that you clamp TIGHTLY
before making the cut.

Do you already have another lathe to machine this spindle on?

jsw