Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What the worst home repair you've ever encountered?

He's very fortunate you heard, and acted on the call.
I thank you, in case he never does.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

I was working on my car in my garage in Chicago and kept hearing some
faint yelling. After a couple minutes I went outside in the alley and
tracked it down to a neighbor 2 garages away. He was on a ladder in
the garage with a finger stuck between his garage door panels.
He was trying to increase the tension on the torsion spring and it got
away from him, slamming down with his finger in a gap.
Don't even ask how the hell he had a gap there, I have no idea.
He was an e-room nurse and was probably using medical training.
I've adjusted the same type springs a few times and the door was
always closed when I did it.
Can't remember how I got him loose, but it was pretty quick.
Think I lifted the entire door with a 5' wrecker bar I had then.
But maybe I spread the panels. It was a new garage.
His finger was really chewed up - to the bone.
What I remember most is driving him to the hospital he worked at,
Michael Reese. PITA, a 40 minute drive to the south side in bad
traffic instead of a local hospital 5 minutes away.
Then I waited a couple hours to take him home. His wife was out of
town. He never even bought me a beer, but hey, what are neighbors
for?
Reminds me, I had my old wood panel door replaced with a metal one a
month ago. Dinky torsion springs compared to the old ones.
I like the new light-weight door. Safer all-around.
And another paint job I avoided doing for 15 years.