Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default How to Re-saw 9" On a 14" Bandsaw Without a Riser.

On 9/27/12 11:29 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in news:k438n2$t8a$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I have a thickness planer, and like you, I don't know how I'd get by
without it.
However, this bamboo plywood was $300 a sheet and I have plans for
literally every square inch of it, including both sides of this
8-1/2"x9' piece that I re-sawed.

Did you spend all your money on the plywood, then? A riser block kit for a
bandsaw runs in the sub-$100 range. I think mine was around $60 for the
Powermatic kit. (It works just fine on the Jet saw, just doesn't look
pretty).

The motor might not handle resawing at the full depth, but just because you
have the ability to cut 12" with a riser doesn't mean you have to.

Puckdropper

I guess the point is, I wanted to try it to see if it would work, before
buying the riser and longer blade. If it didn't work, I lost nothing and
I would get the riser and blade and continue. But it worked and the
first project is done... I'm on to the second.

I also learned a lot about what's really important when re-sawing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--