Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathtub drain replacement

On Sep 27, 7:28*am, bigredfish
wrote:
It is in the slab not going to ever be able to get under it

how do I get it out now so i can replace it all...the stuff is hard but
not completely. We are the first owners so it has been there for 17years
and is like the pink car bondo stuff before it is cured.

Yes, I agree and I am hoping to try and replace everything while it is
open but just wanted to get a few opinions before I start banging and
chipping away at the stuff.

bigredfish

It looks like you must chip away slowly until you can find a point
where you can splice in a new pipe. If you can't find a good splice
point, a couple of large tubes of silicon rubber should provide a
leakproof seal around whatever you do come up with at the junction.
SInce this is on/in the slab, small leaks are not a disaster, and I
have used silicon rubber in similar situations without any problems.
Just slather the silicon rubber on the pipes before you join them,
keeping it out of the actual inside pipe water path, and use lots of
silicone rubber around the outside of the joint. You don't care what
it looks like, so be overly generous with the silicone rubber. An
extra $3.00 for the silicone rubber you slather around is worth it if
you never have to open it again. And, if for some reason someone ever
opens the tub area again, the silicone rubber wiill make it possible
to undo what you are doing.