Posted to uk.d-i-y
SteveW[_2_] SteveW[_2_] is offline

Default door widths - too narrow?

On 27/09/2012 19:51, Phil L wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
I'm considering putting narrower doors on my 2 bedrooms. They
are currently 762mm (30in), but making one of them narrower
(686mm, 27in) enables a much better use of space in the back
bedroom; thus to keep them matching I should probably change
both (the doors are near each other).

Its illegal to do that actually. Disabled access ********. Basically
if you 'materially alter' a door width, it then comes under building
control and is required to be altered to comply with disability
legislation.
Which is probably 850/900mm

This is for newbuild only, not for existing properties.
You only have to look at 90% of old shops and pubs - steps everywhere, but
ones opened in the past 10 years, or old ones that have had extensive
refurbishments, all have disabled ramps

Yes. Our local Natwest took over the shop next-door to extend their
branch, moved the entrance to that bit and needed a ramp. Now the
pavement is very wide and the bank/shops own about a third of it. To me
it would seem sensible to have used that third to provide ramp access
from one side of the door and steps from the other. Instead they talked
to the council and ramped the entire width of the pavement from both
sides, with the result that during the winter you have a treacherous,
ice covered slope and no flat bit to get around it!

SteveW