Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default door widths - too narrow?

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
On 27/09/2012 12:20, charles wrote:
In article ,
tim..... wrote:

I'm considering putting narrower doors on my 2 bedrooms. They are
currently 762mm (30in), but making one of them narrower (686mm,
27in) enables a much better use of space in the back bedroom; thus
to keep them matching I should probably change both (the doors are
near each other).

Its illegal to do that actually.

It might be a breach of building regs, that doesn't make it illegal

tim

Building regulations have teeth...

that still doesn't pass the test for "illegal"

It is a legal requirement to comply with the Building Regulations.
Failing to comply is therefore "illegal".

As I read The Building Act 1984 it is not actually a legal requirement
to comply with the Building Regulations. The Act merely gives the Local
Authority the right, within a limited period of time, to take
enforcement action against someone who has breached them, which is not
the same thing. I would therefore conclude that failing to comply with
the Building Regulations is unlawful, but not illegal.

but the local authority probably has a relevant by-law.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18