bigredfish bigredfish is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Grabowski View Post
I had an old fiberglass bathtub that cracked so am replacing and noticed
that the drain seemed to have a small leak as there is a little bit of
build up at the joint as you can see in the photo. So I figured it would
be best to just replace this at the same time since the tub is out of
the way. But there is this plastic like hard compound stuff all over and
nothing can be removed... Can anyone tell me what and how to remove this
stuff and can I just break it free and yank everything out and then
replace it?

*With the exception of the color, it looks as though it was hot mopped to
seal over the dirt. I don't think there is an easy solution here. Maybe a
chipping hammer would break it up. When it is clear enough, I think that
you will have to dig down to where you can cut the pipe and attach a
coupling to install the new drain assembly. Wear knee pads.
picture came out blue but it is black as best I can see... I did some searches on "hot mop" after your comment and yep that looks pretty much like what I have but seems to be used on shower basins mostly why would they do this to my tub guess they figured no one would ever need to fix it?

and that's what i figured someone would say... chip away I did test a section and it seems to break fairly well with a chisel and hammer.