Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Geothermal heating -- worth considering?

On Sep 26, 5:27*pm, dpb wrote:
On 9/26/2012 3:39 PM, wrote:

I generally agree that a geothermal system is probably an
advantage to a house. *But it also would depend on where
the house is located climate wise and the cost of electricity
there versus alternate fuels. *Here in NJ with electric at 18c
it may not look as good compared to nat gas as someplace
where it's 10c.

Well, of course, but the choice here isn't against competing systems for
a new install; it's already in. *Unless it was a case of a demo house or
the like one would presume at least some of those considerations went
into the choice.

The discussion was about how attractive a geothermal
system would be to a potential buyer. The relative costs
of generating heat from geothermal via electric as opposed
to a system using natural gas are directly relevant. If
the geothermal house can be heated for $1000 a year,
while using nat gas in a similar house would cost $2000,
then it's an advantage. If it's the other way around, then
it's a disadvantage.

* And the age of the system and the replacement cost. * I know
* a lot of the big cost is the outside part, but I wonder how much
replacement of just the inside heat pump part costs as compared
to replacing a gas furnace/AC unit?

Well, that's true for any system, whatever the type. *Have you priced a
hi-eff gas system recently?

The specific issue I raised is what the replacement cost
of a geothermal system is. I'm very familiar with what the
replacement cost of a nat gas/AC system is. I have no
idea what the cost of replacing the geothermal eqpt is.
I'm suggesting that it might be a good idea to find that out.
If it costs 2X, then that should be factored in together with it's age
when considering if it's an advantage or not.

As for natural gas and AC, I think they are remarkably
cheap for what you get. I bought a 120K BTU gas
furnace and 5 ton AC for $4500 two years ago.

You also get "free" A/C w/ the heat
pump--don't forget to add in the cost there in the replacement as well.
* And, if the A/C is used, many have the option of using the waste heat
there for water heating that is another input energy cost reducer. *In
TN for the entire summer months and much of spring and well into fall
the water heating was essentially free. *Obviously that's not as big a
deal as one gets more and more into more temperate climates so I'd not
expect a unit in PA to have it.

I'm not saying it's always going to be the best possible choice or that
even in this case it's a real plus but I'd surely think odds are it's a
positive as opposed to run-of-the-mill furnace you'd find in the average
house on the block for sale.

All in all, though, after my experience, I'm sold on the concept...

--

Obviously.