Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default How To Fix A New Gas Can

On 9/26/2012 3:16 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:09:51 -0400, George
wrote:

I wondered the same thing. If you search on ebay for what the comment
describes you can see people selling a little flip open vent that looks
like one from the older style cans. No idea how well it might work.

I wondered too. Thanks for the eBay lead. I just ordered two for my
cans.

Other than allowing air during pouring you may want to keep it open
while the can is just sitting. My gas cans are kept in my shed and
with the big temperature swings in the Midwest the cans will either
swell up like a blimp or collapse to the point of only about half of
their capacity. Of course during transport the vent should be closed.

I have never seen mine go through those extremes but they definitely
pressurize in the summer. I wondered if the ebay vents attached securely
so they are airtight.