Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default More on electric cars.

On Sep 26, 9:23*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
SteveW wrote:
On 20/09/2012 07:56, harry wrote:
On Sep 19, 2:12 pm, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:43:02 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:53:27 +0100, djc wrote:

But these electric cars aren't designed for driving across europe or

any great distance. They are for the wage slaves doing the M-F 9-5 25

mile round trip commute.

But the wage slaves are just the people who can only afford one
car, so

it has to do all the other occasional, but so often vital, trips too.

So they use some of the money they save from the cheap energy, reduced

tax, etc on the day to day electric car to hire a more suitable vehicle

as required.

Figures were posted recently about how much one of these cars would
save

someone communing into central London with, no congestion charge, free

parking and charging etc. I forget the numbers but it was several

thousand pounds...

I wonder which comedian came up with the figures.....

I'm also suspcious of this free charging, will it be free from home too?

--

It's obviously a kick start thing. But if it isn't done, we will be
left behind/back in the horse age..

If the primary power is nuclear then using the power to produce
synthetic fuels to provide all of the advantages of petrol and diesel,
while being cleaner would seem to make sense. Pure electric vehicles
cannot (may never?) have the energy density and rapid refill times of
the "old" technology.

That is essentially correct.

Until and unless some other way of storing energy beyond the ones we
know turns up. Something subatomic perhaps.

So more pollution from synthetic fuels?