Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Table saw on 220 vs 110 volts

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 7:49:52 PM UTC-7, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Still working on cobbling together the best of four Craftsmen table saws. Biggest motor I have is an old (heavy) 3 hp outboard motor on one of the saws. I can wire it either for 220v or 110v. The only difference I see is that I could possibly put a smaller gauge wire into my conduit if I run 220v.

Higher voltage is preferred, if it's available. Partly because it works with smaller wires,
but also because it makes the starter switches/power switches a little more resistant
to dust and dirt. 220V will burn through a bigger bit of sawdust than 120V will.

Switches and wires both take smaller run-time currents, and (all else equal) stay cooler
with the higher voltage.