Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice on squeeking squirrelcage motor

Han wrote:
I posted a picture of the squirrelcage motor in my homemade "air
filtration system" with 18x24" filters. The motor has started to
make a high pitched squeeking noise, and the center circular pieces
in the picture (bearings?) are getting hot. Is there any way to
lubricate, or salvage the motor, or do I need to get a new (used?)
motor? This thing has had many, many hours on it, since I use it too
to circulate the air in the basement. So I owe it gratitude, but can
afford another motor. OTOH, if it can be saved somehow, that would
be good. But I don't want it to catch fire!!!

Any advice is appreciated!

Most likely the bearings Han. They are most likely replaceable for small
dollars. Pull the motor, remove the bearings and let your fingers do the
walking to find a local supplier. Take one down with you to get the right
replacement. You can try to lube them with a little oil, but chances are
that won't be a very long lived fix.

--

-Mike-