Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default door widths - too narrow?

wrote:
I'm considering putting narrower doors on my 2 bedrooms. They
are currently 762mm (30in), but making one of them narrower
(686mm, 27in) enables a much better use of space in the back
bedroom; thus to keep them matching I should probably change
both (the doors are near each other).

Any comments? I want the space advantages, but am wary of finding
out after the fact that they seem annoyingly "too narrow". I'm
not too concerned about furniture sizes, since ours is mostly all
flatpack.

#Paul

Paul, stick a false jamb into the frame to narrow the opening down to 27"
and make-good the gap with some extra wide architrave (or casing) on that
side - this will enable you to 'try out' your adaptation and revert back to
the original if it doesn't work out for you.

Cash