Posted to alt.home.repair
Dwight Dwight is offline

Default A Good Finish For Tool Handles?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:54:23 -0700, Dwight
wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Dwight wrote:

I have hammers and other tools with painted handles which I would like
to refinish.

What might hold up well in the way of an oil finish?

Boiled Linseed oil and terps-- good for metal, wood, fine furniture,
axe handles, oars, . . . . .

Jim

Thank you Jim.

When I was a kid 70 years ago linseed oil and terps was the standard,
and today it still is!

It is for this old fart, anyway.g Not quite as old as you-- but
a similar vintage.

Youngsters don't own any wooden-handled hammers. [and I've got to
admit that most of mine are fiberglass, too]

Isnt that great, in this day of galloping technology, when every
company's varnish has to sell its own brand of thinner....

I like to stick with what works unless you can make a compelling
argument for the 'brand new stuff'.

I just started looking at boatbuilding [stitch and glue & skin on
frame human powered stuff] sites again for the first time in about a
decade--- seems like I missed out on the gorilla glue era. [Tempted
by the PL premium construction glue in lieu of epoxy, though]

Jim

Thanks again. I like to keep wood around me - just cleaned up some
homemade kayak padles which are finished with Sea Fin. I did build our
Odyssey kayak by Pygmy. They are a really good house, and I have paddled
with the owner, but I must say there was no carpentry to it - just
learning to work effectively with epoxy - which is fun in itself.

Best