Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

Default What the worst home repair you've ever encountered?

On Sep 26, 7:08*am, Frank wrote:
On 9/25/2012 10:24 PM, ownerbuilder2012 wrote:

I just did some plumbing repair at home, and all I can say is that it's
the messiest and the worst home repair I've ever done. But what can i
do? it has to be done. I hope I did a good job, I wouldn't want to do it
again any time soon.

How about you? what's the worst home repair you've ever done, and what's
the lesson you learned after?

Now over 70, I'm judicious about any repairs I may do myself and will
call in a plumber even though I could probably DIY. *I may nurse
something along until something else builds up than I get most bang for
my buck by having more than one job done by the pro when he comes out.
I guess that is my lesson part.

As far as nightmare it was over a dozen years ago when a leak developed
behind the toilet in our basement family room. *Since it was in the wall
and toilet had to be removed I had plumber fix leak. *I patched the tile
wall and had to replace seal and bolts on toilet tank which broke when
toilet was removed. *First time ever bolting on toilet, I cracked it so
I got the plumber back with a new one. *I'll never attempt bolting one
down again as how many times in a lifetime does a DIY'er ever do it.

That was not only problem with this powder room. *The shut off valves
and drain pipes on sink needed replacement due to plumber jostling
around old parts. *Then at end the sink Moen fixture leaked and tiring
of bringing back plumber, I replaced that one myself.

This toilet and sink mess took place over maybe a two week period not to
mention that I was very ill at the time. *It was a harrowing time.

I'm pride myself on being a DIY person. A few years ago, I decided to
build myself a 20'x20' workshop form the ground up.
Everything was going well until I got to wiring the interior
electrical outlets with a GFI breaker. Everytime I tried to use an
outlet, it would trip the GFI breaker. I'm not an electrician, so
after about two days of dinking with with problem, I called in an
electrician. The guy came out and within a minute showed me my error
in the breaker box. It was a simple thing that I overlooked. He
didn't even charge me for the service call. I learned that sometimes
its better to have an expert look into an issue, then to waste time
with it. I also learned more about CFI breakers.