Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More on electric cars.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
harry wrote:
You missed the fact that bearing failure is most unusual on a modern
engine? But since you are such an expert, perhaps you'd give details of
when this last happened to you or yours?

Simpler is always more reliable all else beingequal.

I had to fit new big end shells and main bearing shells to a Rover V8
engine about ten years ago.

Only the worst of ignorant ****s would fit new bearing shells to anything.
If the shells need replacing, the bearing surface is also worn/damaged.

No.

Crankshafts are hard steel,. bearing caps are IIRC lead indium plated,
they wear much sooner.

If you let them wear to the coppper backing of course you WILL score the
crank.

In the bad old BMC days I used to replace big ends at 30k, mains at 60k
and have a bloody good look at the crank and bores at 120k, if the whole
car lasted that long.

But next time, don't let it run out of oil. And your electric pump won't
help there either.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.