Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loose screw *inside* Whirlaway garbage disposer?

On Sep 25, 4:31*pm, "Steven L." wrote:
Hi all,

A couple of days ago, a handyman installed a new kitchen countertop in
my home. *To do that, he removed the sink and faucets and Whirlaway
garbage disposer temporarily. *He put everything back, and then left.

But when I tried to use the garbage disposer, it started giving off this
horrible strong rattling sound. *I looked inside the disposer--and found
that a 1 1/4 inch long Phillips screw was jammed into the side of the
disposer between the turntable and the ring. *Here are two photos:

http://i49.tinypic.com/idua9k.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2i7bvow.jpg

With a wooden stick, I can push the turntable around at least one
revolution in either direction, but that's about it.

What is this screw doing in there???

Is it an internal part of the disposer that came loose, or did it fall
in there from the handyman's carpentry work? *IOW, should I try to screw
it back in--or try to remove it?

Any ideas?

--
Steven L.

It's definitely not part of the disposal, so remove nd throw it out.
For the next few days, I would keep an eye out for any leaks in the
vicinity of the disposal or around the boundary between the sink and
the countertop, just in case the carpenter didn't do a good job
restoring things.