Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Gunsmithing advice please

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 09:53:25 -0700, wrote:

Greetings all you Gundamentalists,
I have an old Remington Model 6 .22 caliber rifle. I like this rifle
but it needs lots of work. When I bought it it had a steel rod driven
in the muzzle end about 2 inches deep. I don't know who did this
damage or why. Anyway, it needs to be relined. Among other things. I'm
going to buy a barrel liner from Brownells. I want to shoot mostly CB
shorts from this rifle, but may want to shoot .22LR rounds also.
Brownells sells two types of liners, one rifled for .22LR and the
other for shorts. Since I will be shooting both types of rounds which
liner should I buy? Also, I can use either Acraglas or solder to
install the liner. I can solder well but have no experience with
Acraglas. Any opinions on which method would be best?
Thanks,
Eric

===============

If you have the ability to bore the barrel for a liner, why
not just drill the plugged end out to 9/32 or 5/16 X 2
inches deep to remove the steel plug to start. This is
equivalent to simply cutting off the end, but retains the
original look, front sight, etc. and the price is right.
This will give you a chance to shoot the rifle before you
put a lot of time and money in to it, and may be adequate
for your needs if you are shooting 22 CB caps or shorts.
Sort of an extremely deep rebate crowning.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"