Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default Printed Pole Motor

On Monday, September 24, 2012 5:45:57 PM UTC-5, Jon Elson wrote:
Cross-Slide wrote:

I remember reading a book about motors, and one of the more interesting

ones was referred to as a "Printed Pole Motor" IIRC.

I believe they are now used in high-end machining centers as a way

to get very wide speed ranges at full HP without using gearing or

belt drives. I think they are also called switched reluctance

motors. They do not use any permanent magnets, but rewrite the

poles on an iron rotor.

Jon

Thanks for the replies! Sorry it was not a political rant.
I was simply curious about something I read years ago...

IIRC switched reluctance motors use soft iron in the rotor poles, and rely on magnetic attraction to the poles.
Most motors have permanent or electromagnets to react against.
And the switched reluctance is yet again something different than a written pole motor.

Always something interesting to learn about...