Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11519 Ignoramus11519 is offline

Default Federal heavy vehicle use tax (heavy haul tax) form 2290

On 2012-09-24, Steve W. wrote:
On 9/23/2012 3:58 PM, Ignoramus11296 wrote:

Am I correct in my reading that I can claim it as suspended and submit
the return, but not pay tax? And if, say, I end up using it more than
5,000 miles per year, I can then pay tax? Anyone knows this well
enough?

You can deal with it either way. Pay the "tax" first then claim a refund
if you don't hit 5K a year. Or file for suspension and pay if you go over.

BUT either way you had better have VERY good documentation. Vehicle
logs, driver logs, fuel reciepts and such to be able to prove the number.

Good idea. I think that what I will do is, I will pay the tax now,
document my mileage, and then file for a refund if I am under 5k miles
after a year.