Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_6_] Graham.[_6_] is offline

Default Hot Batteries

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:51:50 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
. 92.236...
A neighbour called me to tell me she had put new batteries in her CO2 /
smoke alarm and they were getting hot!
I went to look and as you can guess they had been fitted wrong - but I was
really surprised by the amount of heat they generated. (3 xAA)

I wouldn't be surprised, not after putting the two AA batteries into a Lidl
torch and finding it didn't work.
By the time I got back to the shop (about 5 minutes) it was melting the
plastic bits.
Next time I will remember to take the batteries out.

On your way out of Lidl you might have noticed a clear plastic bin for
customers to put their depleted batteries in for WEEE compliance or
whatever.
Am I alone in thinking there is a potential fire risk if or more good
lithium or alkaline batteries got in there, perhaps a couple of 9V
types. Optionally add a little wire wool and tissue paper and stir
slowly.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%