Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Alkaline Battery Leak Cleanup

gregz wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:
gregz wrote:

gregz ? wrote:
? Cydrome Leader ? wrote:
?? BeeJ ? wrote:
??? What is the best Alkaline Battery Leak Cleanup (AA Copper tops) method
??? for the metal contacts that were exposed to the battery leakage?
???
??? Some contacts are easy to get to and some are not.
???
??? Chemical to use? Or ?
??
?? distilled water, was everything off that is corroded or wet if you can.
?? Scrub with an old toothbrush.
??
?? regular tap water can leave mineral deposits and corrode stuff as well,
?? plus distilled water is really eager to dissolve electrolytes from
?? anything. It's a good solvent and harmless and pretty cheap.
?
? I was surprised my big grocery carries distilled. Bought a couple gallons
? for camp coffee. Makes good coffee.
?
? Greg

That reminds me, your not supposed to use distilled water in stainless
pots. Deionized, ok. Maybe the coffee fixes that situation. I have a
stainless reservoir at home, glass at camp.

Then why do they make electric stills out of stainless steel?

There are different stainless varieties. Some water baths and incubators I
used to work on said, don't use distilled. It leeches nickel and puts holes
in them.

That sounds like a reaction between the steel and other chemicals.