Charlie Self

Default Pinging Charles Self

loutent asks:

My situation is probably shared by many. I have a fairly
good open stand TS (AMT - out of business now). I have built
up the crappy fence that came with it. It operates OK - not
to .001 or even to .01 (I'm not even sure of 0.1) - but I have
gotten by with it for almost 15 years now. Many projects
have come out of it - most pretty acceptable I think.

To spend $200-$300 on a fence for this machine seems
absurd to me. I think I paid $325 for it (FOB Royersford PA).

What to do? Love to have that Biesmeyer on a 3 or 5 HP
Unisaw but would it improve my woodworking?

I don't think that putting a $300 fence on a $300-$500 machine
makes sense. Almost bought that Vega once on sale for around
$200 - maybe I should have.

How long have you had the saw? 15 years, you say. How long will you have it? If
you have no plans to change in the near future, it seems to me that one of the
lower cost but good fences would make such a difference in your saw use you
mightnevre consider changing. There are several in the article that are well
under the $300 mark, a couple, IIRC, about $200.

Keep a check out for used of any of the brands listed: if one doesn't show up
in a reasonable time, then go new. You really won't believe the difference in
accuracy and repeatability.

Charlie Self
"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong gives it a superficial appearance
of being right." Thomas Paine