Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Alkaline Battery Leak Cleanup

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 14:46:45 -0700, BeeJ wrote:

What is the best Alkaline Battery Leak Cleanup (AA Copper tops) method
for the metal contacts that were exposed to the battery leakage?

I use 409 household cleaner and scrub with an old tooth brush. When
409 is sprayed on the white crud left by a leaky battery, it foams and
fizzes. After that, I rinse with tap water, blow away the residual
water with an air compressor, and/or blot whatever is left with towel
paper. Sometimes, the white stuff is thick enough that I have to
scrape it off with a small dull screwdriver or piece of plastic. Not
much can be done to replace the chrome plating that is commonly used
on equipment battery contacts. Left alone, the base metal will rust
or corrode. I smear on some grease to slow down the corrosion, but
find that it's not really adequate. I wouldn't mind painting the
contacts with clear acrylic after masking the contact area, but that's
often difficult or awkward to accomplish.

Although it doesn't help for all types of battery leaks, I sometimes
wrap the batteries in household cellophane wrap (especially in
flashlights). It doesn't prevent leakage or do anything when it leaks
out the ends, but does help to limit the spread of the corrosive goo.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D