Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Disconnecting Generac Generator

On Sep 23, 10:47*am, "
wrote:
On Sep 22, 10:16*pm, bob haller wrote:

On Sep 22, 10:26*am, "
wrote:

On Sep 22, 9:31*am, George wrote:

On 9/22/2012 8:52 AM, bob haller wrote:

What is the reasoning for leaving the transfer switch in place?

Probably because it's a lot more work to take it out and by
leaving it there another generator could be installed
someday if one chooses. *I wouldn't take it out either.

Correct.

why is the generator being removed?

That was my question too.
Interesting how definitive statements are made
when only minimal details are presented.

Actually your question was:

"What is the reasoning for leaving the transfer switch in place? "

And the OP affirmed it was because it's more work to
take it out and leaving it in allows a generator to be
installed in the future. *And it's probably a LOT of work
to take it out, if the transfer panel has the circuits to be
supported by the generator wired to it. * You'd have to
move all those back to the main panel. * I'd ask you what
is a compelling reason to take the transfer switch out?
I can't think of one.

Leaving it in, if you wanted to, you could add a standby generator
at any time. *It could very likely be used with a portable
generator as well. * If you go to sell the house, I'd even
put that in the listing as a selling point.

I still ask WHY IS THE GeNeRaToR being removed........

I dont care about the transfer switch!!!

it just seems strange to remove such a signifcant asset from a
building.....- Hide quoted text -

IDK, but my first guess would be that it's kaput and they don't use
it enough to justify the replacement cost.

generac parts are way overpriced and not well designed. i have one
here i picked up cheap it has a small plastic control box..... priced
over a 100 bucks many years ago..... when the 3rd one failed

i finally did a work around........

start generator let it run a minute, then push a 200 amp momentary
contact switch just long enough till it begins generating.....