Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Gunsmithing advice please

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 09:53:25 -0700, wrote:

Greetings all you Gundamentalists,
I have an old Remington Model 6 .22 caliber rifle. I like this rifle
but it needs lots of work. When I bought it it had a steel rod driven
in the muzzle end about 2 inches deep. I don't know who did this
damage or why. Anyway, it needs to be relined. Among other things. I'm
going to buy a barrel liner from Brownells. I want to shoot mostly CB
shorts from this rifle, but may want to shoot .22LR rounds also.
Brownells sells two types of liners, one rifled for .22LR and the
other for shorts. Since I will be shooting both types of rounds which
liner should I buy? Also, I can use either Acraglas or solder to
install the liner. I can solder well but have no experience with
Acraglas. Any opinions on which method would be best?
Thanks,
Eric

Have you checked with Gun Parts and others for a replacement barrel?

They show barrels for $50, but are currently "sold out" which means
not very much actually...give em a call. and see. Also...its very
easy to install a blank barrel in this rifle. Very easy.

They are not particularly uncommon in some areas, and as the design is
a take-down..simply replacing the barrel should be quite easy

As for the liner...Id go with the Long Rifle liner. It is properly
throated and properly chambered (usually) for the longer
cartridge..which the Short is not.

Acraglass is very easy to do, will not change the color of your
current bluing in the slightest and will last as long as the rifle
does. I prefer the glue method in any rimfire, and some light
centerfires.

Gunner

--
"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are