Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default RCD Keeps tripping on new installation

In article , Doctor Drivel
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Doctor Drivel
wrote:
charles wrote:
In article , Doctor Drivel
wrote:

[Snip]

I have!!!! Mandatory and advisory are not the same thing.

....... 314.1 Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as
necessary, to: (i) avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the
event of a fault ...

That, I believe, to be the key point. If there is only one RCD
hazards will be created.

Hazards? One RCD creates a hazard? My oh my.

yes, if something on one circuit takes out the single RCD, then all the
lights go out. If it's dark that IS the hazard.

Being in the dark is NOT a hazard. There are battery backup lights for
being in the dark. An electrical hazard means harm by electricity.

An RCD is the last line of defence to prevent bodily harm.

314.2 goes on to say "separate circuits shall be provided .... in
such a way that those circuits are not affected by the failure of
other circuits."

A single RCD covering all circuits would not comply with this.

Tripe. A circuit may fail and the mcb trips and the RCD does not.

But if the RCD does trip?

What if a digger rips up the cable in the road!!!

I wouldn't hire you. I bet you think BS's are the regs as well.

How about BS7671:2008?

British Standards are RECOMMENDATIONS. The Building regs are LAW. Even
the building regs are full recommendations as well.

Didn't think you'd recognise that BS ;-)

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18